What a fabulous turnout we had for the first P&C meeting of 2014, with 22 parents coming along on Wednesday evening, Feb 12, to have a say and lend a hand. Many of the ‘old-timers’ commented that it was the biggest P&C meeting in memory – thank you to everyone concerned.
Here is a summary of this busy and enjoyable meeting:
- Principal Tony Rudd spoke about HSC results at Manly in 2013
- The Deputy VP position is vacant after Meg Tulk’s retirement last year. The search is continuing. The Head of Social Science position has been re-advertised.
- Library Staffing – extra staff sometimes needed especially around HSC time as most kids are in the library
- Bus Shelter Staffing – mentioned by the group about the mad panic at end of school time for students rushing to their buses. Tony to review whether there is adequate staff and to look at process of how kids get to their bus.
- Student Participation –Tony would like to encourage the children of MCS to look at the following programmes:
- Order of Australia Award – community service ( nominated by staff)
- Warringah Council – Outback Youth Exchange – highly recommended to participate – 6 applicants chosen
- Australia my country – RSL – culminates on Anzac Day
- New Telephone System – A new phone system was installed in school over the holidays replacing an obsolete phone system, resulting in a phone in each classroom.
- Treasurer’s Report – Report issued, with budget and Project List
- Environment Report – Verbal update by David Nord. David explained to the forum what his role was. Basically a project manager for how we spend our money. David is looking for assistance in this area, someone who can help get quotes and help run the various projects. The project list issued by Michelle was also discussed and he shared with forum in particular for the new parents past projects.
- Canteen Reports – Verbal update by Deb Miller, prices will change and will be advertised on web site
- Band Alison Auld mentioned that band is no longer under the P & C, due to the turnover > $100k. Band committees meet separately.
- Alumni – Ben Mills, nothing to report.
- Technology – Vivek Rao, verbal update
- Peter Dawes head of technology, discussion about BYOT, due to have technology meeting and what is being done, 2014 year 7 about 17-18 parents keen to contribute to MSC technology improvement with appropriate skills. P & C is to supplement if required schools technology committee.
- Second Hand Uniform Shop – Sandra Salmon, $1580 in the bank as a result of her tireless efforts– awesome!.
- New Business – Bill Hawkins, President. Bill’s to-do list – trying to get a fundraising team together. How to use the system better to get money allocated to MSC?. Is it worth our P & C employing an expert who can help us navigate the grant system better? To be discussed again at next P&C.
- Excellence Fund – P & C has been able to grant up to $250 to students representing the school at national and international level – the meeting agreed to increase this to $400 to recognise the excellence of these students and the expense of taking part in their national activities.
- Next Meeting – Wednesday 19th March 2014, Library at 7pm . Close of meeting 9.05pm
Thank you to everyone who attended the evening. Your contributions are valuable and very important to the life of Manly Campus!